Furthermore, Taipei 101 also has a stabilizer that's stabilizes the whole building in case of an earthquake. I was really amazed by how advanced technology is!
On top of Taipei 101, we were able to see beautiful sceneries from the 89th floor and had a 'mobile device' that would introduce to us about each station. I think that it is really creative of Taiwan to do so because Taipei 101 will then serve as an educational trip and their business will be better.((probably only from my practical point of view)) Maybe the government just wants to educate the people? I've also learnt that the Taiwanese are proud of their achievement as they displayed their coral artifacts. Here are some pictures I've taken at Taipei 101
I think that all the artifacts were wonderful and definitely left me with a good impression of Taiwan! Afterwards, we went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner at which we wolfed down our food because it was already very late. One cultural difference would be that the Taiwanese would use strictly chopsticks and we had to ask for spoons. Also, they are extremely civilized people and had excellent table manners because a waitress cringed at the sight of our 'uncivilizedness'. I would defintely have to improve on my table manners. When we went back to the hotel, we were somewhat reminded to behave well because we are not in Singapore. We represented River Valley as well as Singapore and have to be on our best behaviors so that the foreigners have a good impression of us. I really think that we should all cooperate with the teachers and have fun together. All in all I've experienced a lot today and I hope to learn more from the six days to come!
Today, we visited two museums: the national palace museum and the shung ye aborigine museum of formosan.
At the national palace, we saw a lot of artifacts of china, mainly their utensils, which is either made of copper or clay. We also got to see the ηΏ ηη½θ and I've learnt that it was a ε«ε¦ of a lady in the palace. The white represents pure and clean while the bugs around it is to bless her with many offsprings. I think that this was rather creative and meaningful because they were able to find such representations for a blessed marriage. I personally liked it a lot because it looked so real! ((No photos because we weren't allowed to take photos))
Next, at the museum that displayed the cultures of the aborigines, I've leant that there are 14 registered aboriginal tribes in Taiwan. They make up less than 2% of taiwan's population and stay mostly at mountainous areas. Through the guide's walk through, I've came to know about some cultures in the yami aboriginal tribe. The yami aboriginal tribe would build boats for fishing and they are rather superstitious too because they will 'zhan pu' ((writing options on shells and burning the shell to derive an answer)) before every step of constructing the boat. Due to this troublesome procedure, it takes roughly 3 years to build a boat and usually, the yami citizens would have to start planting crops a few months before they start constructing the boat so that they can pay their 'workers' ((friends and families)) with food. After a boat has been built, the whole tribe would then wear δΈεθ£€ and toss the boat in the air until it floats onto the sea. It is a ceremony to bless the owner of the boat. One reason to envy the yami tribe would be that they are extremely united. They would help one another in the building of the boat and celebrate it together grandly when the boat has been built. I believe that through building the boat together, they would definitely cement strong bonds and knit closer as a tribe. Nowadays, such chances to bond as a family is already hard to come by, let alone a tribe. I'm really envious of their togetherness but maybe that's the price families in developed country has to pay. After all, they do not have iPads or iPhones like us and spend most of their time with one another.
Following that, we went to shifen to release sky lanterns I was really excited because it was my first time doing it! I wrote εΏζ³δΊζ&θΊ«δ½ε₯εΊ· on it.
Here's a photo of us releasing the lantern! Afterwards, we were given time to walk around the street and I tried the famous sausage and it tastes AWESOME:) anyway, this was how day 2 was spent. We will be visiting jianguo high school tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it!
Today was another fun and enjoyable day! We went to jianguo in the morning, where we were warmly welcomed by the students there. We didn't really do much since we're only doing the introductions and I think I'll have more things to say tomorrow. But here's a photo of me and my buddy :)
One learning points from jianguo today would be that they do not give up easily and are supportive of one another. While they were performing acrobatics for us, their tricks failed but they continued while we cheered them on. They did not complain and sulk but tried again and again, they were not discouraged by the setbacks.The acrobatics club was formed for only half a year and the fact that they are willing to perform for us shows that they are very brave.
Following that, we went to 2 memorial halls, the chiang kai shek and sun yat sen memorial hall. We got to see the changing of guards that was extremely grand and solemn. I really admired the guards for their discipline and professionalism because they could just stand still and blink only when necessary. At the chiang kai shek memorial hall, we learnt about his history. Chiang kai shek's father died when he was young and his mother raised him up alone. He was a great successor of the Kuomintang and deserves to be recognised. Somehow, while listening to the guide, I felt that his mother is extremely brave and strong. She had to bring him up alone and without her, there will be no chiang kai shek and Taiwan might not be what it is today. I feel that she also deserves to be recognised. At the sun yat sen memorial hall, we were told that sun yat sen's name was not originally sun yat sen. His name was changed because he was very playful when he was young and his mother wanted him to settle down. Also, I think that we should learn not only from his capability in politics, but also his attitude. After the tour, I felt that he was humble and low profile. In his whole life, he had only worn westernized clothes twice and he would usually wear dark coloured clothes. He also believed that the world belongs to everyone and I feel that we should learn from his mindset and attitude. Here are photos taken in the museums
This is a wax figure of chiang kai shek and his office. It was made so real that even the time of the clock stops at the time he died.
Afterwards, we went to ximending to shop. We were given one and a half hour to shop by ourselves(group) and I found it very thrilling. So first, let me describe ximending. There were lots of shops around that sold nice clothes and nice foods just like Singapore's bugis street, except that it was bigger, darker and cheaper. I feel that the operators are very smart because they categorise the shops such that food can be found at one side and clothes are at the other side. This way, it is more convenient for those who just wants to buy food or just clothes. It helps to lessen the crowd as well. This sums up day 3.I was so tired today! But still, it was a fun day :) we kicked start the morning by visiting jianguo high school and this time, we attended lessons together with them. My buddy was really friendly and I've enjoyed myself. A few things I've observed would be that the students can eat in their classrooms, wear any non school based tee as long as they wear school pants and they have an hour long of break which allows them to eat their lunch outside school. I thought that it was heaven to have such freedom but then when I went to the lessons , my opinions changed. Most students are sleeping and are not paying attention. I wonder how did they even get into jianguo if they had such a passive behaviour towards studies? Maybe they are geniuses? I think perhaps the school feel that all the students are disciplined enough and thus are not very strict with them. It is true that they are smart and can catch up with work when they do not pay attention in class but I think that results isn't everything, their behavior counts too. So I think that giving them freedom is a good thing but sometimes too much freedom might lead to the fall of some students who aren't as disciplined without supervision. These are just my opinions π anyway, here's a photo of me and my buddy
Negative comments aside, I also observed that jianguo high school excelled not only in academics. They have lots of clubs and I heard that their clubs are rather good too. Also, when the teacher had finished what he had to teach for that day, he led the class to a room where they would dance at the front and appear on the screen, with a girl dancing beside them. I think that it was really funny and interesting and I think it is a good chance for them to have some fun and release stress as well.
We then went to the matyr shine where we watched the changing of the guards again, just that this time it was done in an open area. We then went to eslite book store and shopped around for about two hours. I saw many nice books but unfortunately they are in traditional Chinese.. Though I didn't buy any Chinese books, I still had fun at such a bookstore! I also noticed that the bookstore is extremely quiet, like the libraries in Singapore. Maybe bookstores serve as a library to them? I'm not too sure, but it is very generous of the owner to even set up a reading corner in the bookstore though customers might read on the spot instead and not buy books.
I was so tired today but the trip to wulai brightened up my day. We started off late today because some of our classmates were feeling unwell and because the aborigines don't start their school that early. At the aboriginal school which are mostly made up of the atayal tribe, we learnt how to speak simple greeting words, numbers and animals in their language. What caught my attention was that the students there do not really have written work. They would just repeat after their teacher and are get enthusiastic in learning. When we went for a 'hunting' activity, my buddy and I were unable to find anything but she was not discouraged. She comforted me and said that it is actually better to not catch anything because we had to say the number of animals as well as what animals we 'caught' in atayal language. I feel that we should learn from their enthusiasm and optimism because with such an attitude towards learning, we would definitely enjoy school and not dread it. I also realised that their learning pace is slow and leisure. We had nearly 2 hours to finish a card for our buddies and had a long lunch that allowed naps as well. Such a schedule would probably allow the students to be more productive but they would learn less things and I think this is why schools in singapore are fast paced with short breaks. Here's a photo of me and my buddy! She was really friendly and told me about their cultures as well.
After lessons, we had physical education lesson and I was really shocked by how fit they are. Afterall, they are aborigines. The younger kids are really fearless as they ran at full speed while dribbling the ball, despite the rain. We only had the first activity due to the rain but it was still rather fun. Afterwards, we went to Wulai street and visited a museum that displayed their cultures. I've learnt that in the past, men had to be able to hunt to be considered competent and women had to know about sewing. Grown ups would also tattoo their faces, according to their accomplishments, and they believed that the tattoo would allow them to join their ancestors when they die. I thought that it was recalling interesting, to learn about their myths and stories.
Here's a rather scenic view of the mountain
Today would be our last day in taipei as we would have to leave early in the morning tomorrow. Almost a third of the class are unwell and I think it would be better that they can go home soon to rest, though I'd miss Taiwan. So today, we visited the Confucius temple, jinguashi and juifen. At the temple, we found out from the tour guide that the buildings are all symmetrical and the number of poles on the window would also determine whether the building is for the dead or live. The structures of the building were rather intricate with many decorations.
We then watched a 4D film that taught us about the history of the temple as well as some Confucius teaching. Afterwards, we went to a special restaurant for lunch. The structure of the restaurant was very unique and nice. Here's a photo of the restaurant
We then went to jinguashi. We were told that it was a money discovered during the Qing dynasty and has prospered until 1972 when they closed down. We saw many different types of ores and gold there and we also saw the biggest piece of gold. Here's a picture of the biggest gold
And here's a picture of someone mining (SO REAL)
After all the mining activities haha just joking, we went to jiufen. It was uphill and tiring to walk but our efforts were not wasted because I bought lots of nice pineapple cakes there. My friends also bought lots of toys to prank on people, like the camera that spurts water.
Today is the last day and we didn't do a lot of things because of the wet weather. We didn't learn much but it was definitely the best day out of the 6 days because I think that this day had made our class more bonded, or at least I knew that our class was actually very bonded only today. We took after one another and a sign that we were more bonded would be the noisier dinning room π we had more conversations and were closer to one another. Out of all the things we've learnt and gained, a closer class was the most valuable. 6 days together got us closer and I really appreciate it.




















No comments:
Post a Comment