after reading the article from the last post, we were yet again shown another picture of a baby and a vulture, and give two situations of different beggars!
let's listen to our first flower, jinn ♡
"Today we learnt more about poverty. As a warm up activity, we were shown a famous yet sad and pitiful picture of a vulture and a toddler taken in africa, where the toddler was the prey. I learnt that many people in Africa are living below the poverty line and are dying due to hunger and diseases, which could not be cured due to the lack of money. It leads me to be thankful of the luxurious food choices that we have in Singapore, and that we would not have to experience such hunger and pain. I also learnt that it was not easy to help these people and donate some money as the governments are corrupted and a large amount of money would become theirs'. Also, we were shown two pictures. One of a man begging on the streets, holding a sign that explained his pitiful plight, and another of a woman carrying a baby and asking for something, which was most probably money, from a man reading the newspapers. The majority of the class had chosen to donate to the woman originally, for we had thought that the woman had to feed another mouth other than her's, and needed the money much more than the man. However, when told about their background, the situation was reversed as we realised that the man was more independent while the lady was pretty much just a con-woman. From this, i have learnt that we should not judge a book by its cover, or someone by their appearance. Instead, we should take the small effort to learn more about the behind story in order to make an even more accurate choice."
this were her actual words! don't you feel so impressed after reading it?
well, you'll be even more impressed after reading the next one!
right up we have our second flower, juen ♡
"For today's lesson, we were exposed to the poverty of some parts of the world we only got to read about. At first we were puzzled by what was shown on screen; we never saw such a thing in real life before. After the teacher explained to us what the picture was about and the backstory, I felt my heart ache just a little. The little baby girl showed more strength and courage than any one of us. She's just a little baby, yet she's trying so hard to survive on her own. There's barely a chance she would make her was to the feeding centre, yet she still tries anyway. We were born into this world alone, and if we don't try our best to survive, some other people would step ever you to climb higher. Then I look around, I had clothes, I had food, I had a safe environment. What else could I possibly want? Kids these days would never feel and think foe those who are really in need. Their sufferings would never reach their pampered minds.
Again we were shown two pictures of poverty. A man asking for help and a women with a baby, possibly asking for help. We were tasked to choose who to help, by observing the two seperate pictures. Thoughts ran through my mind, and I debated silently who I should help. I came in to conclusion of helping he women, since she had a baby, and those stories I've heard of women's difficulty to find jobs were clouding my mind. But I was wrong. A large portion of the class choose to help the women as well seeming with similar thoughts as mine. However, after knowing the backstory of the two people, I changed my mind. The women was part of a syndicate that cons people of their money. (how horrible is that! >:( )I think it is very betraying, especially those who genuinely wanted to help the women. The baby might be raised to be like that too, and by doing so, it was corrupting our future generation. However, the guy was really in need. He had lost a limb, and his only source of income has been stolen. It was just a setback, I could see that he really wanted to get back on his feet and earn money on his own. This courage was admirable. Although he had lost a limb he still decides to work instead of depending on others and beg.
Through this exercise. I realized never to judge a book by its cover. (so chim) Some things you can trust your instints, but some things you have have to do a bit more research. No matter how unfortunate you are, there is definately a way to survive. Why, when I look around, there's so many things I can thank for! Better make use of it haha :)"
well who would have thought that her words are so impactful!!!
coming next we have our third flower, kel ♡
"Today marks the second lesson of CID ,and I have learn many things from it. Firstly, Mr Chua show us a picture which is take by a very famous photo journalist who have sadly passed away. The picture show a vulture that is preying on a malnourished baby.Looking at this picture,I realize that I am very fortunate to live in Singapore and into the greatest family ever. I counld not even imagine how I could survive in those poor living conditions with no food and a comfort home and must always be wary of predators. After that, Mr Chua show us two picture which is a man with a cardboard, begging for necessities and money as he is homeless and all his belongings have been stolen. Another picture shows a lady holding a baby, extending her arms begging for money from another man. We were then asked to list down what we see, thought about and some what if questions.The lesson also taught me that we cannot judge a person by its appearance but must understand them to make further judgements. We should also know that how lucky we are to not worry daily about all three meals and how lives would go on. I really benefit a lot from today's lesson."
here's a picture that she included! it's the one with the little child and the vulture ☻
following that, we have our fourth flower, qing ♡
"For today's lesson, I learnt that a picture paints a thousand word but I must not judge a book by it's cover. I still have to learn about the background information before coming up with a judgement. I also became more aware of the large amount of people below the poverty line, especially in Africa. There are people who are inhumane as they wouldn't distribute food fairly to the poor and there are also people who feel helpless as they could not do anything. I personally feel that if someone takes initiative and lead the people who wants to help, help could be rendered to the poor and needy.
At the same time, I feel that we, people who are above the poverty line, should not take things for granted. We should feel blessed and thankful that we are living under such a good environment where we do not have to worry about money or food. After this lesson, I would remind myself not to waste food. We were also shown 2 photos and after we learnt about the background of these photos, we were shocked to know that the women carrying a baby is actually part of a syndicate that cheats money whereas the man holding onto a cardboard just need a money for the last time to get back on his feet. We shouldn't judge without knowing the whole truth."
*we shouldn't judge without knowing the whole truth* wise words indeed!
lastly it's time for the fifth flower, xinn ♡ aka me
"For today's lesson we touched on poverty, and a picture was shown on the screen: a little baby girl was crawling on the ground, and a vulture was looking at it from a distance, preying on it. this picture showed me two things, firstly, the natural cycle of life. the baby, which was about to die, was a prey to the vulture at a distance. if you overlook that fact that the baby is struggling to survive, it was the natural cycle of life, life then death. eventually everyone has to leave this world, and there is nothing we can do to stop it. there's nothing to be sad about, because we are born to this world alone, and we will leave this world alone. secondly, i saw how the baby struggled to stay alive, crawling to the food centre to get a bit of food. people in africa were so poor, that alot of the people are malnourished, including babies. seeing how the baby struggled to get food, even though the thought that it might die may have ran across its mind for many times, it still continued going on. it taught me it was important to cherish our time when we are still living, and cherish the thing i have now, because we are lucky to be born in such a wonderful environment. next we were shown two pictures, one with a man holding a signboard, asking for materials to help him survive, the other with a lady carrying a child with one hand, and asking money from a man with the other. at first, we wondered, why didn't the both of them go to work, because they seemed able bodied? the man seemed able bodied, but was begging on the streets. the lady might have to take care of the child, hence she couldn't go to work. then the next question came in: where was the government? why aren't they giving help? we concluded that there might be corruption, and thus no helping hand was extending to both the lady and man. when we were asked who would we help, if we could only choose one, most of us chose the lady, because she had a child with her, which adds to two mouths to feed. yet, when we were told the backgrounds of the two people, we realised actually the man has lost a limb, and tried to work by selling the things he picked up, but his trolley was stolen, and he can't work because all his items are gone too. on the other hand, the lady is from a syndicate of conmans, and the child was kidnapped to help the lady to con money. after this, of course the thing we all know is we can't judge a book by its cover, and changed their minds to help the man, but as the teacher had said, people from the syndicate didn't had a huge cut in the money that was collected, thus she was still genuinely poor. if it was me, i will still choose to help the lady, at least it would ensure that the baby would be fed, and she had some money to buy food for herself. and i would hope that because of all the people who gave her money, she would realised what she was doing is wrong, and she could earn a living by doing other jobs, no matter what it is. "
well i guess not everyone agrees with me, including the other four flowers, because i decided to help the lady.
but well i guess you guys out there there will be this kind soul that agrees with me!!!!
till next time! wait for us!
xoxo ♡

No comments:
Post a Comment